Oh my school doesn't allow this.

There are American volunteers all around me painting Zambian children's finger and toe nails. A very Kodiak moment. I decide to get in on this. Sure I'm a guy. But a majority of the kids are boys so I say the gender roles don't matter here. 
I ask for a color and call over a child. The color is hot pink. The small child is Chanda. She decided to have her finger nails painted. So one by one, I hold her fingers on my knee and do my best while she is worried I'll get some paint on my pants.
I do my best to make them look good, and to not take so long that restless Chanda decides she wants to be done half way through. 
Finished, I look at my work, and am proud of how well I've done. So I ask, "How do you like it Chanda?"
And I get a hesitant and quiet reply, "Yes they are nice"
"What's wrong Chanda? Do you not like the color?"
"Ah no. My school, they do not allow." She says while pointing at the still wet nails.
"You mean you can't paint your finger nails?"
"Yes."
"Dude! Chanda why didn't you say something?"
I wait but get no response.
"Haha wow I don't even know the dress code at the school I teach at. No worries, I got your back if you get in trouble tomorrow."


No comments:

Post a Comment