Jack Thomas

It was needed if I were to continue on up through the ranks of the agency. When I made the hard decision I would go through with it, they gave me a break from all work until it was time. I didn’t know when or where it would be, only that it would be staged and no harm would come to me, or any one I loved. I had loved Chloe with all my heart, and all the love in the world, so I made the remaining time I had with her count. I did every thing I could do to make her know that I loved her and wanted the best for her.
Then, on a drizzly night at nine forty-five PM, my life fell apart. We were walking home from a birthday dinner for a friend of ours. My arm was over her shoulder and her arm was around my waist. We were laughing, talking, and commemorating about our friends. I leaned over to give her a light kiss on her beautiful, long, wavy brown hair. That’s when I saw them coming. There were three big men wearing dark clothing. I tried to avoid them by steering us out of their way, but they countered our movements and got back in our way and surrounded us. Hoping it wasn’t them, I said “excuse me, we seem to be in each others way.”
The biggest one of the three just looked at me. Then with a smooth deep voice he said, “Give me your money.”
Chloe pulled me in closer, wrapping both arms around me. Right then my heart sank. It was then that I knew it was my time to move on. The pain and weight of the choice I had made was so painful, so heavy that it was all I could do to keep from crying right then and there. The man said again, this time taking a step closer, and in a hushed tone, “Give me. Your money. Now!”
I no longer wanted to be the world’s best secret agent. I wanted to fight back. I wanted to some how fight that life away. As I was thinking of how I could fight off three large men, Chloe, full of fear and worry started rummaging through her purse looking for money or any thing of value. Two of the men slapped the purse out of her hands and grabbed her by the arms while she kicked and screamed trying to escape. Instinct kicked in and I took in all of my surroundings in a split second. In one smooth motion, I picked up a fallen pen and stabbed one of the men holding my wife in the back puncturing, his lung. After pulling the pen out, I grabbed Chloe and went to stab the other man in the throat. He saw it coming and let go of Chloe so that he could use both hands to make me drop my weapon and dislocate my wrist. Having to ignore the pain, I pushed Chloe out of the way, and while turning to side kick one of the remaining two men in the legs, the one asking for the money punched me to the ground. My head was spinning and I couldn’t seem to focus. He jumped on me and continued to punch at my gut and face. Then he discreetly injected me with a drug that would knock me out, and cause my breathing and heart rate to slow so much that it would appear as if I were dead.

Chloe took me to a hospital, where I was pronounced dead by a planted doctor. From then on my dear sweet wife Chloe would think I had died due to my brains being knocked loose. When I gained consciousness I was in a strange room with a wrapped wrist, bruised ribs and face, and worst, a shattered heart. From then on, as far as I was concerned, I was another puppet in Uncle Sam’s army.

No comments:

Post a Comment